The High School’s Philosophy of Education
Xavier School assists parents in the total formation of the Xaverian and his God-given talents, to become an active and productive member of the Chinese-Filipino community and his society. Its programs reflect the Jesuit traditions of academic excellence in a value-oriented environment.
Xavier High School commits to deliver quality educational experience that will equip students to face challenges in life. Its goal is to design learning experiences that facilitate development of skills, competencies, and attitudes. It provides educational opportunities that foster academic achievement, spiritual growth, social competence, personal productivity, computer literacy, and lifelong learning.
In articulating its mission, the learning community can only approach this endeavor systematically. This includes:
* a progressive academic program that addresses the needs of students
* a well-formulated and holistic formation program designed to form his conscientious and compassionate heart
* a comprehensive student activities and service program.
* a genuine concern for the spiritual growth of a young person’s life.
* a high level of school spirit characterized by a caring and concerned learning community.
Given this premise, we wish to concretize the goals of Xavier School through our thrusts for the succeeding school years.
Using the 6 Cs as foundation, the High School Unit will seek to push the following:
1. QUALITY ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE. Improve the academic achievement of our students that will result in quality performance. Students, with the assistance of the staff, will attain competency in:
* comprehending and communicating ideas
* developing thinking skills conducive to academic growth
* demonstrating technological and mathematical skill development
* problem solving and decision-making processes
* reflecting and discerning
The unit will support the students in attaining these competencies by providing opportunities across areas (academic and formation).
2. COMPREHENSIVE FORMATION PROGRAM. Create and implement a holistic formation plan. The plan will address the following goals:
* developing the students’ sense of academic responsibility and the habit of doing their work well
* using the code of discipline to develop moral reasoning and self-discipline
* integrating values especially in the ethically rich content subjects
* helping students realize their sense of mission to serve others especially those who are poor and marginalized
* developing appreciation for one’s unique cultural heritage and social identity
* teaching students how to resolve conflicts without intimidation or violence
* engaging students in experiences that will highlight shared leadership and responsibility for making the school the best it can be.
* teaching students to respect and care for their neighbor, environment and community.
3. CULTURE OF CARING EDUCATORS. There is one other thing needed to push this vision — and that is, building a more renewed culture and spirit among the community of educators. This vision, a refocusing of our aspirations for directions, calls for a renewed response of the community.
We need a “can-do, let’s-try-it, how-can-we-make-this-happen culture.”We insist on this paradigm because the task ahead will require creativity, flexibility, and synergy. The task challenges us, formators, to think critically and creatively as well as interact more spontaneously and generously.
This new culture fosters knowing, nurturing, and practicing our Xavier values. The goal is to create an environment that manifests, teaches, and encourages practice of the school values.
Implementation goals of the project include:
* acting as role model and mentor
* creating a community in the classroom
* practicing discipline
* teaching values through the programs, practices and policies
* developing conscience
* encouraging reflection
* facilitating conflict resolution
4. COLLABORATION WITH STAKEHOLDERS. We continue to articulate with and involve the supportive XSPA and vibrant AAXS in realization of the school’s re-engineering effort to deliver quality educational service. The goals of this plan are:
* supporting quality academic, physical, and social education for all Xaverians
* enhancing communication between home and school
* nurturing students within the home and school